SIMPLE IS BEST
Skincare doesn’t need to be complicated. Surely we can do without the parabens, the ETDA’s, the mineral oils, the dioxins, the phthalates, the gender discrimination, the cheap labour, the exotic ingredients and, let’s not forget, all that excessive, wasteful packaging?
Skin & Tonic, on the other hand, does things simply, honestly and ethically. We create certified organic, sustainable skincare and use no more than 7 ingredients because we believe less really is more.
The organic ingredients we use at Skin & Tonic are highly therapeutic when retained in their natural, unadulterated state.
The plants our oils come from have all been grown to international organic standards and have NOT been sprayed by chemical pesticides.
We use ingredients that are packed full of nutrients, anti-oxidants and omegas that help maintain cellular growth. They also help fight the free radicals that we’re all exposed to every day through pollution and are antibacterial and anti-inflammatory.
We try to make our products as unisex and as multifunctional as possible. Check out our Gentle Scrub or our Calm Balm, for example; the scrub doubles up as a face mask and the balm can be used to calm both your dry skin and your mood.
A WAKE UP CALL
We think it’s time for EVERYONE to start doing business in a more honest and sustainable way. People, Planet and THEN Profit is the mantra at the heart of Skin & Tonic. We’re passionate about, and totally dedicated to, going about our business in a way that has a positive impact on lives less fortunate than our own. Sustainability and being “Green” is so much more than just a patronising consumer add-on. Our little blue orb, and the folk who call it home, deserve so very much more.
- We support, wherever possible, small and local British & French producers/ farmers.
- We source from Fair Trade women’s co-operatives in Ghana & Sri Lanka.
- We use ingredients that are certified organic by The Soil Association and we hope to be given certification in our own right very soon.
- We make our products by hand and as we expand we plan to get people who are out of work in our community back into employment by giving them the opportunity to join our skincare revolution.
- We are 100% cruelty free (we like animals way too much).
- We strive to be as carbon neutral a company as possible and have already started planting trees in the Suffolk countryside to offset our carbon footprint.
- We use 100% recyclable glass containers for our products and will soon be providing refills to save on packaging.
- We have partnered with www.charitywater.com and donate 10% of profits to them, providing essential, clean water and sanitation to those in the world who need it the most.
SUPPORTING SMALL FARMS & PRODUCERS
We believe that supporting small farms and producers is vital as they have the real, local know-how. We source from highly respected organic producers in the UK & France. Check out our Brit Beauty Oil which is stuffed full of omega rich oils that have come straight out of our beautiful British countryside.
We source our organic Shea Butter from a Fairtrade women’s co-operative in the north of Ghana and we source our organic Coconut Oil from a Fairtrade women’s co-operative in Sri Lanka. As members of the co-operative, these women earn an income by collecting, processing and selling shea nuts, shea butter or coconuts. This helps them provide an income for their families and send their children to school.
MADE BY REAL PEOPLE FOR REAL PEOPLE
We create our skincare from scratch and therefore believe in getting to know our organic suppliers really, really well. This way, you can be sure that when you buy one of our products it will have been Made With Spirit from the moment the seeds were planted, throughout cultivation, harvest, formulation, production and right up to the moment they touch your skin.
All our products comply fully with European regulations and have been tested for their safety and stability by leading industry assessors at Oxford Biosciences. We are rigorous about our manufacturing processes in our Hackney workshop and adhere completely to the Good Manufacturing Process here in the UK.